This tutorial is for creating a new menu and it's module. For editing or adding a menu button to an existing menu please click here.
This tutorial for more advanced users only. If you are a new user, and want to learn how to do this, please follow this tutorial, but publish the module to one page only, deep in your website, where not too many people will see it, so you can play with it and figure it out before taking it live in the whole site.
Creating a New Menu
Menu creation is divided into two parts:
Menu Creation and Module creation.
The menu manager is where you create a menu and add menu items to it. All the menu buttons in your navigation are menu items. All menu items reside in a menu. Your site navigation bar is made up of menu items (your navigation bar's buttons or tabs). The navigation itself is a menu which contains menu items (buttons or tabs). Once you have created a new menu in the menu manager, you need to add menu items to it. For example, the main navigation bar for your site is usually named Main Menu or Top Menu. My example contains the menu items below:
To edit any of these items, I would have to select the Main Menu and click on the menu item you want to edit. (Click here for detailed instructions).
To add a new menu item, click on the big GREEN Add New button. Read below for instructions.
Now that you have a new menu, we need to display it. In order to let the server know which position and what pages you want the menu to be displayed, you must create a Menu Module.
Once you have a menu created and you have added the menu items (buttons) to it, you need to display it in the site. This is where modules come in. Modules take the menu and tell the server where to display it in your page. Without the modules, you only have a menu list that is sitting there but no one can see it.. Your client guide contains the module positions for your custom template and which pages they are displayed in.
If you already created a menu and are ready to display it Click here for instructions to on creating a Menu Module.
Create a New Menu
To create a new menu, select menus from the Joomla main menu menu bar. From the download list, Select the Menu Manager this will display Ad New Menu to the right of the menu, select it.
Next, We will click on the Big Yellow Plus Sign to create a new menu. (Joomla 3.0+ click on the big green button).
The new menu page will open. Give the menu a title, Menu type is a unique name that is all lower case. Use the description to remind you of what this menu is used for. Click save & close.
Next: You will be redirected to the Menu Manager. Click on your new menu's name to add menu items (buttons) to your menu. As you can see, this menu doesn't have any items yet.
Click on the big yellow plus button to add a new menu. (Joomla 3.0+ click on the big green button).
Your new menu item window looks like this:
Menu Item Details
- Title – This will be the text displayed for the newly added menu item. For this particular case let's use the word Documentation.
- Alias – Usually, you will leave this empty and Joomla! will fill this in for you automatically. The content of this field will determine the page URL when SEF is activated. You may also change it to whatever you want but it must all be lower case, no spaces, and hyphens.
- Display in – This should already be set to Main Menu (or the menu you have previously chosen). Here you have the possibility to move the item to another menu if you wish. This field is quite useful when you decide to change the item location later.
- Parent Item – Here you can specify where to place the new menu item. You can make it a top item or a sub-item of an already existing item. We will choose Top.
- Published – If you wish your new item to be shown on your site, set this to Yes. If you would like to remove this menu item from the site, simply set this to No. It will not delete the item but will make it invisible to your visitors.
- Access Level – This option will specify who will be able to see this new menu item:
- Public - All visitors
- Registered - Registered users only
- Special - users assigned to any group besides "Registered"
- On Click, Open in – Here you can specify how to open the article. It can be the same browser window (Parent Window with Browser Navigation), a new browser window (New Window with Browser navigation) or a pop-up window (New Window without Browser Navigation)
Create a New Menu Item
The first thing you need to do is select a Menu Item type. This lets Joomla know what type of menu you want to create. The power of Joomla is not just on the robustness of the CMS, but the ability to create many types of menus. For example, should you want to link to many articles at once, first associate them to a specific category, the create a menu that displays that category. When you click on the menu you will open a page that has a list of links to all the articles in that category. This allows you to quickly display a lot of content without having to physically link it all.
For now, we are linking just one article so you will be choosing Single Article.
Immediately, the right sidebar changes to select the article you want to link to. Click on Select/Change and find your article.
I usually disable the Article Options because I have already created Global Options for all the articles.
Link options is also nothing you have to worry about.
Page Display Options is very important. The Browser Page Title is the title that you see at the top of your browser as you surf the net. In the Show Page Heading select Yes. Page Heading is the big header title for your page. Leave page class empty since I have already designated a style for this.
Metadata Options is where you enter your descriptions and keywords for the search engines. I have already designated the Global Option for the Robots to follow. If you don’t want this page indexed by the robots, change the setting here. Joomla allows you to customize your SEO metadata in each menu, article and article category.
Click Save & close. Your menu has now been created and has one item link.